The Director, Business Development (DBD) is an individual contributor responsible for leading revenue generation for OPTiMO IT within the Federal sector. The focus of the role is to win new Government contracts.
The DBD is responsible for effectively identifying, developing, and winning new business, promoting positive Federal prospect relationships, and building relationships with potential business partners. The DBD will focus on:
- Building a robust pipeline of funded Federal contract opportunities for pursuit and then leading each qualified pursuit to achieve a contract award for OPTiMO.
- Creating strategic capture plans with supporting tactics that increase the probability of winning new Federal contracts during the qualification, capture, and proposal process.
- Developing awareness and preference for OPTiMO’s brand at targeted new customers and preferred partners, to include developing and executing tactics that enhance the probability of winning specific new contracts.
- Develop a strategic growth plan specifying targeted customers/markets while aligning to OPTiMO’s growth goals; gain buy-in from Executive Team on plans.
- Build a new business pipeline of Federal opportunities, and then drive each valid pursuit to a new contract award for OPTiMO.
- Manage the entire opportunity life cycle with particular emphasis on developing a win strategy and distinct work streams for each step in the capture phase, including:
Identification of Opportunity:
- Market Identification and validation for which markets provide the best opportunity for OPTiMO.
- Proactively target and develop relationships with key client prospects. Build a relationship with prospects before final RFPs are issued and throughout the bid process.
- Identify, qualify, and lead the response(s) to Requests for Information (RFIs), Sources Sought notices, and Request for Proposals (RFPs) issued by the targeted Federal customers.
Qualification of Opportunity:
- Develop a preliminary approach for each opportunity of interest, and when appropriate, select for pursuit the best opportunities that align with OPTiMO’s strategic growth plan.
- Perform competitive assessment, risk analysis, and develop Pursue/No Pursue recommendations.
Capture Strategy and Tactics:
- Manage and lead the full capture strategy process from beginning to end. This includes understanding the client’s requirements, conducting research and competitive intelligence, performing SWOT analysis and risk assessment, creating a winning bid strategy and pricing strategy.
- Lead the creation of win themes, key discriminators, and value propositions that increase the probability of winning the new contract.
- Identify potential mid-size and large Govt. contractors as preferred teaming partners, develop relationships and partnerships, and establish teaming agreements to pursue opportunities. Manage these relationships to ensure support for client requirements.
- Transition primary responsibility for pursuit to the proposal response team after formal Bid decision.
- Partner with the proposal team to support the proposal process, to include ensuring discriminators and win themes are prominent and scorable.
- Ensure a winning, compliant and scorable bid is submitted.
- Assist in properly responding to Government questions and pricing changes during BAFO.
- Work with executive leadership, the PMO, and sales engineers to understand OPTiMO’s services. This includes developing a deep understanding of our current and emerging capabilities, the technology on which our services rely, and our past performances.
- Strategically contribute to capability statements, website content, and marketing materials to improve the visibility and recognition of OPTiMO’s unique expertise.
- Play a key role in business innovation and strategy, supporting our internal bid teams, and serving as a critical thought-partner to the Executive Team.
- Partner with the PMO to forecast hiring needs for the new business pipeline.
- Demonstrated success in winning new Federal contract awards.
- Demonstrated experience in building a viable new business pipeline.
- Experience in leading and winning new business pursuits, specifically in developing scorable proposal content that reflects the strengths and differentiators that distinguish OPTiMO from the competition.
- Experience in managing multiple pursuits in different stages at one time.
- Experience with the Federal buying and procurement processes.
- Understanding of current industry trends and the competitive environment.
- Experience in executing call plans with Government customers and with teaming partners.
- Understanding of key market drivers, competitive landscape, and customer high-level missions.
- A./B.S. in a related discipline; MBA a plus
- 8-12+ years successful Federal BD experience, including at least 3-5 years in a technology markets.
- Experience using sam.gov, Deltek, GovTribe, BGov or other pipeline development tools, and in GSA eBuy, FedConnect, usaspending.gov, and other research platforms.
- Good computer skills: Outlook, Excel, Word, Zoho or other CRM (ability to be trained in Zoho)
- Experience with typical Federal pursuit processes.
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to creatively solve challenges and never stop moving forward.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.