- You are excited by scaling and asynchronous processing, including messaging tech/buses, and why Kafka isn’t the answer to everything.
- You know (and can explain) networking, and how to tell when it’s not working as expected.
- You understand and like working on the challenges of expanding beyond one machine, and how things change when you move from hundreds to thousands to millions of things/transactions/hits.
- You know what “big data” means and (just as importantly) doesn’t mean.
- You know what Artifactory and Docker bring to the development process.
- You know why your code needs testing, and how to do that repeatably.
- You know why automated builds and deployments matter and know what that’s called.
- You know why “it runs fine on my laptop” generates eyerolls.
- You’ve built scalable products that would be characterized as one or more of: distributed services, e-commerce, and fault tolerance.
- You understand SQL beyond “SELECT * FROM TABLE”.
- You can estimate levels of effort consistently, particularly in the context of comparing technical paths.
- You have the grit and patience necessary to help clients through fear and uncertainty to champion adoption of modern stacks.
- You sleep well because you design your code to be easily supportable, and you do this by listening to what your support team needs, so they don’t have your picture on a dartboard.
- You understand that teams are built on trust and commitment as least as much as they are on slick code.
- You have experience with technical debt.
- You’ve worked in the Agile model (ideally Scrum).
- You like understanding the goal and figuring out the best way to get there on your own, and articulating and selling your team on your solution, instead of having each step handed to you.
About the Role
- In this role you’ll be joining a team developing the next generation of the Informed Delivery project for the US Postal Service, an application used daily by over 17 million Americans and growing.
- This role is located in our [Manassas Airport, Virginia] office, and is full-time.
- This is a mid to senior level role. Most people in this role have 8-10 years of experience.
- You do need to be able to obtain a Public Trust clearance for this position. This requires five years of continuous residency in the United States, a background investigation, and a drug test.
- Java 8/11; Spring; Tomcat (or Websphere); React; Oracle/Postgres; Linux (mostly SuSE); Eclipse.
- Subversion (moving to git); Docker; Artifactory; Jenkins; JUnit; Selenium; JMeter; VersionOne; ALM; ServiceNow.
- OPTiMO provides digital transformation, design, software development and integration, and data analysis services, primarily to federal agencies.
- Our offices are located in Manassas (Airport) VA, Wilkes Barre PA and Bloomsburg PA. We believe that face-to-face collaboration matters, and also that open plan offices are the worst idea ever.
- We go beyond “project” thinking and strive to develop deep and thorough understanding of our clients’ operations, so we can be genuine partners. We think this is why we outperform organizations that just ‘hire for the project’ and jettison at the end of each.
- The growth and learning opportunities of a contract role without the constant grind of worrying about finding the next project.
- A flat organization where you can be heard.
- A small team where everyone’s contribution matters.
- The opportunity to stretch beyond things you’ve done before.
- The opportunity to do more than be a cog – to be a valued member of a team.
- Escape from the Tysons commute.
- 20% remote (some clients)
- Subsidized medical, dental, and vision
- Company matched IRA with American Funds with full vesting upon enrollment